Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Hallitusinformaatio vuonna 2012

Hallitus päivittää kuulumisensa tälle sivulle aina ennen kokousta. Jokaiselle kokoukselle on oma alaotsikkonsa, kuten jokaiselle hallituksen jäsenelle näiden alle.

Edustajisto 1/2012

Edustajisto 2/2012

Edustajisto 3/2012

Edustajisto 4/2012

Edustajisto 5/2012

Voitto Kangas, puheenjohtaja

What has happened?

  • Organized the office kick-off days
  • Took part in SYL Chairman-Secretary General meeting, starting to work the objectives for federal meeting
  • Property case and more property case. Looking good!
  • Student centre project group started actual work, first meetings with Aalto.
  • Speeches and speeches. Pedaforum 2012, new students and the opening of the academic year.
  • A lot of preparation work for the upcoming semester.

What is next?

  • Giving a hand in a lot of projects, the economic plan and strategy, SYL affairs
  • Coordinating this semesters round of interest group meetings with the SEKSMYY -network, technology student unions and metropolitan area student unions.
  • Pushing forward the student center
  • Property case and more property case

Noora Lehtovaara, varapuheenjohtaja

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat)

What happened in March:

  • Analyzing the results of Teekkarikylä survey (by the Village Senate)
  • World Student Capital meetings and opening ceremony
  • Commenting the new HSL zone system together with HYY and SHS
  • Gathering/updating information on T3 area (Otaniemi, Tapiola, Keilaniemi) development
  • Working on housing policy: planning, gathering & preparing material, preliminary meeting
  • Planning the municipal election lobbying
  • Difficulties with the funding of an emergency housing coordinator

Work in April:

  • Municipal election
  • Housing policy
  • Emergency housing
  • Teekkarikylä 60 year celebration planning

Juho Salmi (koulutuspolitiikka, Aalto-yliopisto ja kansallinen edunvalvonta)

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

Anna af Hällström (kansainväliset asiat)

Jani Kalasniemi (yrityssuhteet)

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

Edustajisto 6/2012

Voitto Kangas, chair

Past weeks:

Finishing up the work on annual report 2011.
Answering to the property case member petition, and preparations on the communications strategy.
Forming the answer to the Dipoli resolution.
Organized the biannual SEKSMYY- student union meeting
Preparing for a bigger organizational improvement project. Sparring vice-president with the the economical adjustment program, and the other sections with upcoming recruitment and campus affairs.
Supporting board members with their workload.

Coming up:

Wappu traditions and more preparations for the Flower Day's celebrations
SYL head section meetings
SELL Student Games
Beginning the organizational improvement project

Noora Lehtovaara, varapuheenjohtaja

Past weeks:

  • Community workshop 11.4 with Neuvosto (the presidents of the special status associations) and the board. We discussed the future of the guilds and special status associations due to the changes in bachelor degree in technology. The guilds in ENG and CHEM will most probably investigate the possibility of deeper cooperation in the near future. We also discussed the future of Aalto community, especially the future scenario, when we’ll all be on the same campus. Student advocacy and how it is best organized was also pondered.
  • Had a lunch with the editor-in-chiefs of Aino and Aate together with Roope. The future scenarios of the medias was discussed briefly with the board – we’ll soon have a better look at this.
  • Sent the warm-up questions of the strategy process to the Council. Background analysis on the way
  • Been a supportive member on the Campus sector
  • The board went to see TOKYO in Arabia. We talked over some current issues and new meeting with only me and the head of TOKYO will be arranged in May, in order to talk about the future of TOKYO.

Coming up:

  • 3.5. the property case info – night for everyone interested.
  • strategy workshop for the board
  • some work to be done with the campus affairs
  • further investigating the financial adjustment plan – we’ll have a clearer view of things in the next council meeting (as we also have the policy of finance and asset management coming up then)

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

CULTURE

WVappu:

  • TivolinWappu
  • Akateeminen Wartti + after party
  • etc.

ASSOCIATIONS

Operating grant:

  • Board approved the ammounts
  • Grants is now being handed

A new Specialist-Producer will be recruited:

  • Otto Palonen, Associations and Culture Specialist-Producer, will leave AYY during the summer

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

After the last Council meeting

  • On vacation for 1 week.
  • Attended ATTRACT project seminar in Leuven. The final report for the project will be released in autumn and it will have recommendations also specifically for Aalto. For more information about the project, visit http://www.attractproject.org/
  • Meetings with the degree reform group and mobility group. The basic principles of internal mobility are coming along, and the first official draft will be discussed in next University Academic Affairs Committee meeting, and decisions are made in June.
  • Organized sitsit for student representatives.

What is happening now, or in near future

  • Trip to Chalmers.
  • Trying to make it possible to obtain study credits for studying all kinds of things that support studying: different studying techniques, self-management, time-management etc.
  • Organizing AYY Academic Affairs to support school level student advocacy better in future (effective in autumn).

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat)

What's been done:

  • Planning the spring between board member and specialist
  • Municipal election
    • Planning, preliminary work
    • SYL meeting 11.4.
    • Analyzing survey results
    • AYY office election start
  • Emergency housing situation clear
    • Economical responsibilities solved with Aalto
    • Recruiting can start
    • Plans changed somewhat, nothing too serious
  • Village Senate
    • Declaration of wappurieha the biggest individual workload
  • World Student Capital
    • Downgrading the workload on WSC from now on

Feelings, thoughts:

  • Time is fleeting
    • Some personal stuff
    • Events, representing taking up some time
    • Little resources for housing policy (sad)
    • Tasks piling up on me from every direction

Next month:

  • Housing policy
  • Municipal election
  • Tenant democracy activization
  • Preliminary work for web pages project, if possible

Juho Salmi (Academic and Campus Affairs, Education Policy, Lobbying Aalto University Management, National Advocacy)

Past

  • Got a student (me) representative to develop technology student joint admission
  • Reforms of the distribution of work in student advocacy
    • Executive Team of Student Advocacy (KOPOJORY) is now the main organ in school level student advocacy
    • Student Advocacy Council (OPN) now covers all the subject organizations and is the main organ in major level student advocacy
  • Benchmarking academic and campus affairs in Chalmers tekniska högskolan
  • Developing the distribution of work in bar sector

Future

  • Campus
    • AYY community conversation on needs and wishes on campus development
    • Concrete ideas on student driven spaces (guild rooms etc.) and studying areas (Maari etc.) in the campus
    • Indoors climate issues
    • ARTS is going to have bachelor level education in Otakaari 1 starting in 2014
    • Future of the dichotomic academic community of economics

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

Communications:

  • Strategy project started with its first meeting: discussing of goals and visions, listing channels and stakeholders
  • Next up in May: social media (and other things not yet defined)
  • Our brand questionnaire is up and running: https://lomake.ayy.fi/viestinta/tunnettuuskysely/ (also at the front page of AYY.fi)
  • Planning feedback discussions for the sector. The goal is to improve practices and workflow.
  • www.wappu.fi is up and running. Feedback and comments after Vappu and then we will upgrade the site to be ready for next year (and in time).

Volunteering:

  • I’ve had discussions with some sectors considering my own job description and already done some improvements and cleared up some issues.
  • The spring hasn’t been easy so I’m already dropping out at least one project in its current form (volunteer of the year). Some other drops may follow depending on how the current plans start going forward.
  • Vappu is one of the busiest times for many volunteers at AYY and they have a lot on their shoulders. There’s a real need for good feedback after Vappu within sections and sectors. I’m sure there’s a lot we can improve for the coming autumn
  • After Vappu we also try out some new concepts on how to make volunteering more visible in our everyday work. (A morning school session aamukoulu with volunteering as its main agenda for instance.)

Self:

  • A bit burnt out, but I’ve managed to take some breaks, slow down and reduce the amount of work I do.
  • I’m positive that I have at least some learning experiences to share at the office and use in my projects.
  • Done some sports, yay!

Anna af Hällström (kansainväliset asiat)

  • IDSC has pondered the meaning of internationalisation in the special status associations in AYY and worked well during the spring
  • Trip to Göteborg to visit Chalmers student union between the 19th and 22nd of April has taken a lot of time
  • Visitors from ETH during Wappu also demand their share
  • Has met with other interest groups, such as HYY, SYL and SSI
  • I love you all

Next

  • Oxford, ETH, Tsinghua coming up
  • The environmental plan will be formed
  • The employability- and scholarship fee questions will be thought about and eventually put into action
  • I still will love you all

Jani Kalasniemi (yrityssuhteet)

  • Since last council meeting I've had two annual balls, a one-week vacation and a meeting with HYY, JYY, ÅBO, TYY. Our sector has had meetings with: Espotel and Cap Gemini
  • Me and Tuomas Mattila have put a lot of effort on AShop, and we are hoping to have a strategy ready by Wednesday, the 18th of April; Our strategy is to tell the university what we are planning to do with A!-shop both during 2012 and in the future.
  • Board made a trip to Göteborg between 19.-22.4. Roope and myself are having a meeting with Nindev – a company which offered free consulting on mobile applications – whose offer me and Roope will take upon.
  • Getting sponsors for wappu week didn't go as well as planned; basic problem is that companies want to make decisions 3-6 months ahead. To suit this need, we need to change our "selling strategy".
  • WAPPU (1st of May) is knocking on the door and participating to different parties will take most of the time. Hopefully, after wappu I can concentrate on "real" work.

Feelings:

  • End of March and April has been really hectic. I hope, that I can let out some steams in May (smile) Our main priority at the moment is to prevent exhausting our selves.

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

  • SELL student games requires work from sports sector: volunteers, answering questions and managing participations
  • Training sessions of tutors will be finished before the meeting. Feedback will be collected too and will be used to figure out how to improve things next year.
  • Recruiting sports tutors is on.
  • Information package for the new students is coming into being. It will be delivered to special status associations little after May Day.

Next:

  • Equality plan: going through answers to equality enquiry and making the actual plan of action
  • Training of sports tutors
  • Orientation of new students (collaboration with SSAs, AFYE and schools)
  • SELL students games! (17.-20.5)

Edustajisto 7/2012 - 24.5.2012

Voitto Kangas, puheenjohtaja

Previously..

  • Participated in city plan alterations for Otaranta with Lauri and the city council
  • TKY 6 builder's party preparations and taking part
  • Took part in SEFE students meeting
  • Hosted the student union board from ETH Zurich
  • Speech at 1st May was successful
  • Took part in the property case session for the council (too bad the attendance wasn't that great)
  • Preparations for the Student Center case (ground work and a couple of meetings)
  • Preparations for the boards/workers relaxation day with Aalto priests
  • Board sparring
  • Met with TTYY/TAMY at Tampere about the national student card system Lyyra
  • Took part in the HOAS Laboratory seminar
  • Organized the 2010-2011Old AYY Boards meeting
  • Volunteered for SELL2012
  • Property case preparations on the side

Upcoming..

  • Preliminary discussion about the organizational reform and background work
  • Student Center project
  • Property case continuation - website to be overdone this week.

Noora Lehtovaara, varapuheenjohtaja

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

Past weeks:

  • ETH Zurich-besuch visited, guide tour @ Arabia
  • Akateeminen Wartti event
  • Masters of Aalto exhibition, Osaajia Aallosta event (representing AYY)
  • SYL association meeting
  • Visiting YLE
  • SELL Games event
  • Some operating grant stuff
  • Development cooperation stuff with SYL
  • Some Special status associations "godparent" obligations (erityisasemayhdistyskummin velvollisuuksia)
  • Recruiting a new Specialist-Producer

Now and coming up:

  • (ARTS EXPOCED!!!!! 26-27.5. @ Puupaviljonki, Helsinki)
  • MoA Event! 1.6. @ Jätkäsaari
  • Community strategy
  • AYY's sections well-being
  • Associations: Pre booking of AYY’s facilities
  • New culture Specialist-Producer will be trained as well as my self and our association specialist (he gets more job)
  • More Special status associations "godparent" obligations
  • Scholarship awarding committee meetings/Opintostipendinjakotoimikunnan kokouksia
  • The great sitsit/Suursitsit 29.5. @ Senaatintori

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

What have I done after last council meeting:

  • Wappu happened, not very efficient time concidering work
  • Athene guild's co-operation contract
  • Finalizing scholarship regulation change proposition
  • Spring's last meeting of the management group of academic affairs. Preparing for the organizational change in academic affairs sector for the autumn. Feedback for future meetings.
  • Meeting with continuity committee pair. Discussions about the organization changes in academic affairs and involving subject associations more.
  • Going through the scholarship applications and sorting them to the allocation committees. Inviting the committees to a meeting to allocate the scholarships.
  • SELL Games "volunteering".

What is happening during the summer:

  • Lots of degree reform decisions are coming up from different schools. Reacting to those, in case something goes wrong.
  • Some sort of paper about making different kinds of committees official, since most (or any?) of the unofficial committees won't release any memos, notes etc., and we don't have means to name student representatives to them.
  • Visiting Oxford.
  • July = Vacation
  • ???

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat)

After April meeting:

  • Wappu
  • A lot of Village Senate events/work
    • Declaration of Wappurieha (Wappuriehan julistus) and Village Brunch 30.4.
    • Village Cleaning Bee 5.5.
      • A HUGE thanks to all who participated!
    • Village 60 year celebrations
    • Also planning the events for autumn
  • HOASlab miniseminar 14.5.
  • Planning work to be done in the summer
  • Energy levels low due to birch pollen and allergy medication
    • Not cool...
  • Cooler things include:
    • Opening of the Polyteekkari Museum
    • SELL 2012 opening ceremony

What's to be done next:

  • Utilizing time left before summer for municipal election work
  • Time to concentrate on housing policy, finally
  • Improvement of housing web pages
  • Possibly writing guides

Juho Salmi (Academic, National and Campus Affairs, Aalto University, Advocacy Sector Coordination)

Time well spent on

  • Wappu
  • Guild godmothering
  • Encouraged ECON subject organizations in doing student advocacy with KY
  • SYL stuff
  • Campus, campus, campus, campus...
    • Architecture competition stuff
    • Views on student needs for spaces in Otakaari 1
    • Helping Aalto corporate relations and student organizations build learning hubs

Time to be well spent on

  • Reinventing advocacy sector coordination in AYY
  • Encouraging ARTS subject organizations in doing student advocacy with TOKYO
  • Bringing student perspective on mobile services in Aalto
  • Time to think: from reactive to proactive way of doing things
  • Campus, campus, campus, campus...
    • Reinventing campus advocacy

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

Communications:

  • Communication strategy: we held a meeting on social media and already went through some of the results from the brand questionnaire
  • Feedback discussions done: we are improving our work communication by adding a short meeting on Fridays to summarize our week (in addition to our Monday's sector meeting)
  • Aino's editorial board meeting
  • Spent hours and hours wondering and pondering with Noora the possible futures of our media under the pressure of budged cuts
  • -> Preliminary debate in the upcoming council meeting: Can we currently afford our media and if so, how (if possible) can we (or should we) save in the current costs
    • More info and background material coming asap!
  • New art director starting!
  • Visited YLE, met with a company offering us tracking and analyzing services for social media and sat in a conference about the future of telecommunications in the Nordic countries
    • We will also discuss a possibility of having our own (AYY/AYY+University) smartphone app as well as go through our own media tracing practices

Volunteering:

  • Urged the board members to hold feedback discussions with section leaders
  • Volunteer of the year prize isn't quite as dead as I thought: it might happen after all
  • the first volunteering morning school session had really no difference to a general one: we failed the preparatory work and obviously just a mention in a calendar doesn't make a difference
    • I will work on this towards the next semester
  • I finally defined how I will work with volunteering the rest of the year: "information and knowledge, integration and strategy" are the keywords here
    • What this means is that now the responsibility is on the sectors to "implement the year of volunteering" and I will focus on the areas mentioned above
      • While this might seem the obvious way (as it actually was for the board once we discussed it), my job was never actually well defined so by doing this I can remove a lot of pressure from my shoulders and focus better on my own work

Self:

  • Wappu started as a lot of fun, but then I fell ill yet again and missed the climax (anyone surprised?)
    • I was sent to a specialist and now things are looking brighter for realz
  • To summarize the first half of this year: I tried to do everything so I ended up doing nothing and sacrificed my health in the process. We are all here to learn, now it's time to learn from the mistakes.
  • Took part ex tempore in a dance flashmob in the SELL opening ceremony: Everyday I'm shufflin'! AWESOME! (big grin)

Anna af Hällström (kansainväliset asiat)

Professional

  • Wappu came, saw and conquered
  • April went by in a blizzard of visits and preparations for these - May has continued this trend
    • ETH visited during Wappu - nice but demanding
    • Oxford-trip coming up in the end of June
    • Trying to reach Tsinghua to prepare for our possible/desirable visit there
  • The employability of international students still high at the agenda
  • ...as is the question about tuition fees. The "mid-term report" is finished and we're getting acquainted with it.
  • Conferences, meetings, seminars...
    • CIMO-organized International Spring Days in Lahtis in the beginning of the week
    • In Malmö at the International Student Union Conference right now
    • NORDTEK+BALTECH in June
    • SEFI in September
    • SUNTU in the autumn
    • ...und so weiter...
  • SELL Games was a well-planned and organized international event - GO SELL ORGANIZERS! (Anna Lee and Kati especially)
  • International Degree Students Committee to meet next week - in what form (corporeal or electronic) is still to be determined
  • Inkubio's (bioinformation technology guild) co-operation contract done, still working on one with KY ry (econommic-students association).
  • Decisions made about the exhange scholarships. Hard work and difficult decisions.
  • The environmental group will be meeting on the 30th and plan the summer and autumn - now there'll be some action! Rough outlines for the plan are ready and will be published on the AYY-blog in the beginning of June.

Personal

  • Personal prolonged weekend was excellent and relaxing - new motivation and energy for the student union!
    • Also met nice students from all over Sweden, Denmark and Germany: go international sector!
  • Got two different illnesses at the same time (two for the price of one! Oh, what joy), which was a nuisance.
  • Book tips of the month: "The upside of irrationality" by Dan Ariely

Jani Kalasniemi (yrityssuhteet)

  • Had a vacation right after last council meeting
  • Wappu was awesome (smile), but not really efficient time for working
  • I talked about A!Shop with Aalto's vice president Hannu Seristö and we're figuring out were to go with the shop.
  • A!Shop is now empty, because of the renovation of Otakaari 1
  • Me and Matti had a meeting with Hartwall and talked about next year
  • I was in logistics trade fair in Messukeskus on 11th of May
  • Hartwall wanted to sponsor a "kisakatsomo" in Otaniemi, game was Finland-Canada
  • SELL games are on and we are both voluteering

Next things:

  • More meetings
  • Hopefully we have a answer from Seristö on A!Shop

Summer:

  • Developing corporate relations
  • Meetings with companied, if possible
  • Planning the fall

If (Finland h1. Ice Hockey World Champion 2012) {

Monday 21st = Vacation

};

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

  • SELL Student Games has been our biggest and most laborious project lately. By the meeting it will be over (yeay?). There’re 1566 participants and 15 different sports. Opening ceremony will be / was held in 18th and the games will be over by the 20th. Four day spurt, here we come!
  • Sports tutors are selected. There are 34 tutors, of which 7 are international students. First part of training sessions will be held in 31.5 Training will be held together with Helsinki University Student Union. Its contents are settled but not quite done. Finishing them will be the first priority after the SELL-games. Unisport is also collaborating in this project by offering financial support and sport services and venues. Basically everything looks quite good regarding this project.
  • Equality plan was pushed to be a summer project: we decided to do it properly instead of quickly.
  • Sport course pilot “Lähde liikkumaan”, which was aimed to un-active students, is finished by the meeting. Feedback from the participants was very positive, so we're thinking of arranging the course again in autumn or at least spring.
  • First week of orientation is getting its shape and looking quite good. AYY will participate in the orientation of all schools and fuksitoimikunta (committee of freshman activities) will arrange a welcoming event for all new technology students and architects in their first day. Schools are arranging their orientation quite independently, but information is flouting pretty well and all are collaborating with their SSAs.

What next and in summer?

  • Some much needed breathing time after the SELL-games and pretty hard spring
  • Formulating an action plan to actualize points of the policy paper for new students and starting to execute said plan
  • Training sessions of sports tutors and all in all leading the project forward
  • The equality plan!
  • Evaluating the training of tutors and figuring out the mistakes of this year: let’s make it better!
  • Hardcore thinking about AYY’s position in the basic income (perustulo) discussion
  • Checking out the policy papers and making plans for the future Edustajisto 8/2012 - 6.9.2012h1. h2. Voitto Kangas, puheenjohtaja

What has happened?

Organized the office kick-off days
Took part in SYL Chairman-Secretary General meeting, starting to work the objectives for federal meeting
Property case and more property case. Looking good!
Student centre project group started actual work, first meetings with Aalto.
Speeches and speeches. Pedaforum 2012, new students and the opening of the academic year.
A lot of preparation work for the upcoming semester.

What is next?

Giving a hand in a lot of projects, the economic plan and strategy, SYL affairs
Coordinating this semesters round of interest group meetings with the SEKSMYY -network, technology student unions and metropolitan area student unions.
Pushing forward the student center
Property case and more property case

Noora Laak, varapuheenjohtaja

What's been going on:

  • We had a small strategy workshop with the staff and the board
  • Started the fall term with Neuvosto and started organising our events during fall
  • I've been working with the media question together with Roope.
  • Prepared campus affairs with Juho.
  • Meetings concerning the different aspects of economic adjustement plan have taken quite some time
  • I took part in the meeting of the chairmen and secretary generals of student unions (ts. SYL pj-ps)
  • On the first day back at the office I moved to work in the same room with Voitto - and it has worked out really well

What's next:

  • Continuing the work with the adjustment plan (a few sub-projects there)
  • Tackle the strategy with Voitto
  • Helping out with the property case
  • Hopefully one week's holiday at some point and time

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

PAST WEEKS:

Association stuff:

  • co-operation meeting with Pointers ry at Pori. Pointers ry are applying some operating grant from AYY and other Student Unions.
  • Meeting with Näky ry at Pori
  • Meeting with HUS (Helsinki University Student Union) about association database project and association training etc.
  • Meeting with SYL about association training etc.

Culture stuff:

  • Aalto Party and the after party!
  • ARTS orientation days (helping whit student cards and promoting AYY)
  • Campus Expo at Arabia during ARTS orientation day no. 2

Board Stuff:

  • Planning the autumn with the board and our sector.

Me:

  • got a flu after the orientation days.. now almost well.
  • During summer: picking some berries, sleeping and seeing friends

NOW AND UPCOMING:

Events:

  • (4.9. Aalto Party and the after party)
  • 5.-6.9. Otasuunnistus
  • 10.9. Night at the Campus in Helsinki
  • 11.9. Stadisuunnistus
  • 17.-19.9. Kampuskarkelot / Campus Expo at Töölö and Otaniemi
  • 1.10. Otatarhanajot (is a formula race organized at Alvarin aukio in Otaniemi)
  • 1.10. Lakinlaskiaiset
  • etc.(See the upcoming events at ayy.fi)

Else:

  • Meeting with association sector people and SYL
  • Other meetings..

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

  • What's been happening:
    • Planning the autumn with the board and our sector.
    • Meetings with deans, checking what is going to happen in schools during the autumn and start of year 2013.
    • Attenging Peda-foorumi, a conference about university pedagogics. Workshops about feedback systems, course grading and using communality in study program leadership.
    • TEK kopo-päivät, meeting technology universities student unions academic affairs responsibles.
    • Aalto University guidelines for granting more study time for those who have exceeded allowed study times. This paper is now on a comments round in schools and AYY will also comment it separately.
    • Stating boundaries and suggestions for our universitys period system.
    • Autumns first meeting of Kopojory, the management group of academic affairs. Setting up autumns meeting schedule with the schools and discussions of above topics.
    • Trying to advance tenttiakvaario (a system for more flexible examining). It might be possible get a pilot (re?)started by the end of the year, or at the beginning of 2013.
  • What's going to happen:
    • Updating AYY policy paper on Aalto University
    • Renewing our Teacher of the Year prize. Hopefully involving our special state associations.

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat / boende och kommunala ärenden / housing and municipal matters)

  • The housing policy is about to get some shape as the key issues and potential hazards have been (hopefully mostly) discovered. What will follow (perhaps already for the council meeting on the 6th) is a simplified and condensed structure which helps the council set the goal for the housing activity. (Which really is what all this policy making - now that I've familiarized myself with it - is all about.)
  • Emergency housing has been going quite well so far: we have accommodation spaces and a coordinator to treat the people in need to a passable shelter for some time. Of course, the biggest challenge is yet to come (as of Aug 31th) since the majority of foreign students has been adviced to arrive between 1st and 3rd of September.
  • The municipal election is closing in slowly and surely, thus the work on the events that'll take place during the autumn has started. Unfortunately the resources are quite scarce but we'll try to get to the best result with what we have.
  • Village senate in Otaniemi will employ me somewhat more during the autumn as we strive for a higher voting activity levels in the Senate election to take place November. Work for tenant democracy hopefully isn't limited in just Otaniemi as there is work to be done in Helsinki as well, yet the amount of hours we can dedicate for this work is unclear.
  • Housing rules and regulations update will be started late this year, after the policy making has taken place. Although this work will surely not be finished this year there is some hope still that you may be able to decide on a rule paper. At the least you will have a say when the preparatory work is started.
  • A separate website section for housing has been created during the summer and the content there has been reviewed and worked on to achieve a more coherent structure. This work will be finished in some time.

Juho Salmi (Academic, National and Campus Affairs, Aalto University, Advocacy Coordination)

Nuttin' much. Let me refresh to you what I am up to nowadays.

Projects this fall in priority order

  • Yhdistysohjesääntö §8 Erityisasema
    • Community conversations (Neuvosto)
    • To be brought to the council in either meeting in October
  • SYL union meeting preparations
  • Mapping AYY organization with Voitto
    • Creating tools to understand our organization
  • BYGG-project with Voitto
    • A student driven center next to the subway entrance in Otaniemi?
  • Student admissions
    • Aaltoon MOOC-pilotti
    • DIA-valintojen kokeisiin aineistotehtävät
    • Renewing the policy paper on student admissions
  • China cooperations with Jani

Continuous operations in priority order

  • Coordinating AYY advocacy
  • Campus advocacy
  • Aalto Executive Team AET
  • Aalto Academic Affairs Taskforce AATU
  • Aalto Leaders’ Dialogue ALD

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

  • Media question
    • Most of August has gone to preparing the presentation for the board and the council
  • Communications
    • The yearly action report from 2010-2011 is ready! You can get yours from the AYY main office. (smile)
    • We started a new weekly blog series, "Terveisiä Lämppäriltä", about our daily work routines and such
      • Published once a week in turns by our different sectors
    • Weekly letter is back from vacation
      • We are now using an access database for creating the letter
    • We hope to get swamped in the communications strategy soon
      • This depens on what will be decided by the council on the media question
  • Volunteering
    • The sections and committees are hard at work as always: this time on orientation weeks and welcoming new students
    • Section chief meetings (sounds cool, right?) are still on vacation but will start soon enough
    • Recruitment
      • I've started the plans for the recruitment campaign with Joonas (communications specialist)
      • Next Stop: AYY is the slogan, just like last year
      • The schedule is still in the works, but the goal is to start the campaign early October
      • The sectors are planning their recruitment needs
        • The culture sector is planning the community "strategy"
  • Meself
    • Mostly AYY in my life, but I learned how to make tar during the summer, so now I need to try it out! (...so...waiting for the next summer)
    • Been doing some coding, like websites and stuff, which seems to be a nice way to get some distance from work (AYY) related things and thoughts
    • Haven't danced at all during the summer, so that needs to change!

Anna af Hällström (international affairs)

Tuition fees

  • People seem to have noticed that the tryout wasn't successfull
  • Some media-sightings made - mostly positive for us
  • Meetings and memorandums with politicians and other people
  • Will occupy most of the autumn

Housing and social affairs

  • Emergency housing co-ordinator seems to be working quite well
  • Meeting point arranged for international students at the ariport
  • Some problems with the insurance for international students (implemented last year)

Co-operation

  • Towards Tsinghua and China in December
  • Chalmers to be visiting early in 2013
  • The Oxford-trip was very rewarding and thought-inspiring

Mosaic

  • CouchSurfing arranged to ease housing for international students in the beginning of term
  • Campus-event, sport sauna, Hidden City Race....a lot stuff is happening in September!
  • International week 12-18.11

Conferences and the like

  • EAIE 12-14.9 (Hanna)
  • SEFI 23-26.9 (Anna)

Environmental affairs

  • The guidelines to be refined by the representative council, hooray!
  • Plan to be made in the autumn

Jani Kalasniemi (Corporate Relations - CoRe)

What has been on my mind and schedule recently:

  • Shutting down A!Shop. We agreed with university that 30.9.2012 is the last day when we sell A!Shop stuff.
  • Starting up our own AYY webshop. Hopefully we'll have one worker for that in the beginning off October.
  • Planning on how to gather money for our visit in China.
  • Some bonding w/ the board, our office and other who are responsible for corporate relations
  • And of course, contacting different kind of companies and firms

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

Big things (aka the ones that most of my time now and also later goes to):

  • basic income (perustulo). We have been finding information and thinking a lot, but unfortunately were unable to bring to subject in this first Council meeting due to time constrains. Next one it is! We’ll arrange an discussion session for all interested in our community in Thu 13.9. Please, dear Council members, come there do discuss and tell what you think. After that we’ll put together AYY’s opinion (or proposition for such) for you to decide in the next meeting.
  • equality plans for AYY’s offices and whole community. Equality plan for offices is mandatory (by law) and equality plan for community is just good to have for a student union. Results of equality enquiries performed in the spring are almost processed and soon we’ll start to brainstorm how to improve the situation. Making these plans is my biggest and most time consuming project for the autumn.

Smaller, but important things:

  • freshmen are coming! Fortunately, I don’t really have to do much now.
  • the countinuing project continue... (Unisport, Aalto-Liike, OLL, SYL, etc.) Edustajisto 9/2012 - 2.10.2012 h1. h2. Voitto Kangas, puheenjohtaja

What's been happening:

Plan of action 2013 preparation has began, same for budgeting. Now is the time to think about next year! *wink

  • Providing fire support for 1. basic income 2. economic adjustment plan 3. upcoming federal meetings
  • Lobbying case Dipoli forward, preparing for the end of the year negotiations, if they arise.
  • Property case preparations still take a leap of time.

What will happen:

  • Alumni stuff, meeting old folks (alumni) to set up the honorary delegation.
  • Preparing student center project for it's next leap.
  • Federal meeting preparations require fire support all around. Hopefully I also get to lead the AYY SYL-delegation!

Noora Laak, varapuheenjohtaja

Past

  • got elected as a candidate of AYY to the board of SYL, yay!
  • organised a sitsi-party with the present and past presidents (Neuvosto)
  • been writing and exceling the economical adjustment plan
  • been organising the sub projects of economical adjustment plan
  • ...such as interviewing the candidate design offices in order to renovate the Otakaari 11 building for our purposes
  • had one and a half meetings with the newly organised strategy taskforce
  • represented AYY at Metropolijuna, the opening event for the municipal election campaingn work in the greater Helsinki region
  • helped out with campus-related things for policy paper on Aalto university (update in preparation)
  • helped out with economical issues for Pilvi's volunteering project
  • took part in the strategy workshop of SAFA (Association of Finnish Architects)

Future

  • finalising the economic adjustment plan, last negotiations etc.
  • taking the strategywork over, finding the focus points
  • campaining and preparations for SYL
  • taking care of Neuvosto

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

Association stuff:

  • association database project with HUS
  • association training planning
  • association guidebook is ready to be printed
  • Meeting with association sector people and SYL

Culture stuff:

  • Events, events, events! like as Otatarhan ajot, NättiJussi, Lakinlaskijaiset and Back to the 20th century -party
  • Talking about AYY's volunteers with the volunteers

Me:

  • Going to Norway with Koneinsinöörikilta

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

What's been happening:

  • Updating AYY policy paper on Aalto University, final comments within our sectors will start in beginning of week 40. Changes in the policy paper in council meeting of 8th of November?
  • New concept to replace "Teacher of the Year"-prize. Focusing more on things that have been done to improve education instead of the persons who have done something.
  • Started collaborative guide to our members of the management group of academic affairs.
  • Concept of new period system in Aalto University has been created and been discussed within our volunteers.
  • Meetings of OPN and Kopojory.

What will happen:

  • Going through SYL materials and commenting them.
  • ATTRACT final seminar in Sweden, more information on the project: http://www.attractproject.org/
  • Lots of meetings with other student unions.
  • Lobbying the new period system throughout the university.
  • Vacation on week 42.

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat / boende och kommunala ärenden / Housing and Municipal Matters)

  • Housing policy's been taking a lot of time and effort
    • Decent-ish progress, despite a cold that's been holding me back for a few weeks...
    • Unfortunately the preparatory meeting attendance was quite uneven, but still got some answers (although on "How?" instead of "What?/Which?")
    • We'll get back to the value discussion in the meeting (material will arrive today)
  • SYL municipal election field day on the 27th was quite okay
  • Tenant information letter is ready and being translated
  • Village senate has been a little more active
    • Teekkarikylä got some attention in the form of a cleaning bee
    • UFF cloth collection container to Otakaari 20
    • Basement storages are being checked and emptied of trash

Juho Salmi (koulutuspolitiikka, Aalto-yliopisto ja kansallinen edunvalvonta)

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

  • Recruitment project for 2013
    • The start of the campaign has been delayed (maybe by a week or so) since the sector has been sick (sad)
  • Communication strategy
    • The project has been on hold for the reason above
  • Aino Student Magazine
    • We are recruiting a committee for the planning of the new concept
  • Volunteering
    • A newly formed equality questionnaire has been opened by Kati
    • Culture sector is working hard to present the future form of our volunteering sections
      • The schedule here is tight but manageable!

Anna af Hällström (kansainväliset asiat)

Tuition fees

  • continues, continues. Mostly on Hanna's table - she's been to quite a lot of political meetings regarding this matter

Housing and social affairs

  • Emergency housing co-ordinator worked well, good foundation for the future
  • Meeting point (HelpDesk) arranged for international students at the airport: worked quite well, will be done again next yera

Co-operation

  • Tsinghua and China-related stuff is beginning to surface more and more
  • The student union of Chalmers is hopefully coming for a visit at some point
  • International panel debate regarding the municipal elections was organised with HYY on the 19th of September - great success.

Meetings and stuff

  • EAIE and SEFI - check
  • SUNTU in a few weeks time
  • Aalto International Relations
  • KV OOP (international study personel from the different schools)
  • Aalto Gardens
  • DTU-meeting on the 3rd of October
  • Nordic 5 Tech on the agenda

Mosaic & IDSC

  • International week 12-18.11
  • IDSC first meeting on the 4th of October

Personal

  • NATOM in Trondheim was epic. Horn-power for the win.
  • Autumn flue took its toll

Jani Kalasniemi (yrityssuhteet)

  • Pylväs was in London with Aalto Alumnies from 14th to 16th of September.
  • I met Helsingin yrittäjät (Helsinki entrepreneurs) on Tuesday 25th and they will arrange a event for students (Aalto University and University of Helsinki) and small and medium sized companies next year. Concept is still a bit open, but they want students to meet with their entrepreneurs
  • Jani met Matti Alahuhta on Friday 28th and we are hoping that KONE will support and help us finance our China project with Tsinghua University Student Union.
  • Museum is in a great "shape" (big grin) We still need to do some small updates/upgrades. Exhibition is open for public (smile)
  • Pylväs is right now in USA and he is back in business on week 41
  • Employer for AYY webshop is decided on Wednesday 3rd. Interviews were done on weeks 37 and 38. Four applied for the job.
  • China project, year 2013 and future of AYY's corporate relations has been the most time-consuming projects and they will still take a lot of time on upcoming weeks

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

  • Basic income process has taken a lot of time. Hopefully we’ll get the official opinion formed in the next Council meeting. Beforehand we have arranged a discussion session, talked with the Board and read a lot of background material. We have made summaries for you to help you decide.
  • We have also spent a lot of time pondering the Finnish Student Sports Federation (OLL). OLL is a national oganisation advocating, supporting and promoting the interests of students' sports and physical activities. OLL’s members are SYL and SAMOK (The Union of Students in Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences) and its activities are steered by annual federal meeting in a similar matter than SY is steered. L. AYY and other student unions have been displeased with OLL quite many years and despite efforts and task forces matters have not improved. Also the sport advocacy field is undergoing major changes. All matters concerning professional sports (including student athletes) and their advocacy is moving under Olympic Committee. Also another sports organization that includes Finnish Sports Federation (Suomen Liikunta ja Urheilu, SLU), The Finnish Sport for All Association (Kuntoliikuntaliitto) and Young Finland association (Nuori Suomi) is forming. We feel that student’s sports advocacy should not be left out of this new organization. Therefore we have made a proposal to shut down OLL and move its most important features elsewhere to achieve more effective services to all students. Following through with this proposal will be our sports sectors biggest and most time-consuming project this fall.
    • Also, since OLL is steered by federal meeting, they also sent some material to comment (again, similar to SYL). Forming opinion about these is on the agenda next couple of weeks since the commenting time will end at 5.10.
  • Equality plan is unfortunately in the same state as before the last meeting. I have decided to prioritize equality plan for the AYY’s offices since it’s required by law. I will do as much as I have time to.
    • been helping Pilvi and Roope to resolve problems affecting our volunteers and figure out needed organizational changes. Results and proposals will be represented next week and actual decisions made afterwards regarding what volunteers and the board have to say. Other solutions and proposals than the organizational changed will be included in equality plan for the AYY’s offices.
  • Materials for SYL’s federal meeting have arrived. The comment round (“lausuntokierros”) will end at 12.10. For social affairs sector this is quite time-consuming.
  • Aalto-Liike’s (sports committee) last big happening “Battle for the mastery of Otaniemi” –tournament in Thu 4.10. Looking good!
  • The student barometer project is going good. Otus should provide us with reports by the end of November.
  • New sports info mail (liikuntatiedote) has gathered quite a lot of subscribers already (over hundred). Its publishing was started three weeks ago. Edustajisto X/2012 ==

    Voitto Kangas, puheenjohtaja

    Noora Laak, varapuheenjohtaja

Pilvi Hussi (kulttuuri ja järjestöasiat)

Eetu Pursiainen (koulutuspolitiikka, opintoasiat)

Lauri Ikonen (asuminen ja kunta-asiat / boende och kommunala ärenden / Housing and Municipal Matters)

Juho Salmi (koulutuspolitiikka, Aalto-yliopisto ja kansallinen edunvalvonta)

Roope Nortia (viestintä ja vapaaehtoiset)

Anna af Hällström (kansainväliset asiat)

Jani Kalasniemi (yrityssuhteet)

Kati Penttinen (sosiaalipolitiikka ja liikunta)

  • No labels